Accounts Receivable System Questions and Answers
- Who should use the new FMIS AR System which is to be implemented January 1, 1999?
Answer: The FMIS ARS should be used:
- By UH department who does not have own departmental accounts receivable system,
- By UH department who has own departmental accounts receivable system but did not receive an approval
from the Financial Management Office,
- For recording of all dishonored check even if you have own internal departmental accounts receivable
- For recording of all salary overpayment even if you have own internal departmental accounts receivable
- What do I need to allow me to use the new AR System?
- First you must have a security to access ARS.
- You have the capability to print at your site. In order to print, you will need to have an Adobe Postscript
printer connected to the UH network. In addition, the printers must have at least 6MB of memory to run
Postscript. Printers that we have successfully tested are:
- HP Laser Jet 4 Plus
- HP4000 N Laser Jet
- HP Laserjet 5SI MX
- Apple Laser Writer Select 360
- Do I need to feed a pre-printed UH FORM FMIS-24 or UH FORM FMIS-3 to create a document?
Answer: No. The system will generate a respective form automatically based on the screen. Information entered on
Screen 361 or 362 are transferred to the printed form.
Also FMIS-3A BILL AND NOTICE OF DISHONORED CHECK and FMIS-24SA BILL AND NOTICE OF SALARY
OVERPAYMENT form letters will be generated automatically.
- Do I continue to send a diskette to GALC for recording of detail accounts receivable transaction after ARS is
implemented on January 1, 1999? When is accounting entry recorded to FA?
Answer: No. The system will feed accounting entry when a document is finalized through the Final function key PF9
on Screen 364 - DOCUMENT ACTIVITIES.
- Can I create an invoice for other department that is not under my fiscal responsibility?
Answer: Yes. A good example is a tuition billing handled by Cashier's Office crediting multiple fiscal officers' account.
The system maintains two types of FO code (one is Invoice FO who created an invoice and other is Account FO.)
- If I am the 'Account FO' but not 'Invoice FO', can I make a change to an invoice through ARS?
Answer: No. Only the 'Invoice FO' can modify, delete, replace or revise an invoice that he/she created.
- If I can not make a change because I'm an 'Account FO', does it mean that I can not inquire the document
Answer: No. You can inquire the ARS screens. Only you cannot make changes.
- If I (as an 'Account FO') find an error, what should I do to have data corrected?
Answer: Contact the 'INVOICE FO' for correction.
- What are some of common terminologies used in ARS?
- ACCOUNT FO refers to the FO to whom the account code is assigned.
- AR TYPE is a two character code that identifies a type of accounts receivable (e.g. revenue, salary
|AR Type||When to Use
|LN|| To record a DM transaction to a loan account
|OX || To record a DM transaction to ORS Non-Adm account
|RV || To record a revenue transaction with SL and source code 0010-0999
|RG || To record a fund addition transaction with GL 082xx account and account control 45xx.
|SA || To record a salary overpayment to a UH appropriation code A997.
- CUSTOMER TYPE is a two character code assigned to each customer to identify a type of customer.
- DOCUMENT TYPE is one or two character prefix assigned a document to identify an accounts receivable
|Screen|| Prefix|| AR Type
|361 || S || RV, RG
|361 || SA || SA
|362 || D || LN, OX, RV, RG, SA
- INVOICE FO refers to the FO who created the invoice.
- 'C' CUSTOMER is a customer code for the individual, company, government agency, etc that purchased the goods or services from a UH
department. The address information on a C customer code is used for the Sold To and Bill To information on the invoice.
When creating a new customer code, the 'C' number is automatically assigned by the system. However, a customer code for an 'SA' docuemnt must be manually entered
with a 'C' followed by the 9-digit social security number and '0' (zero).
- 'Z' CUSTOMER is a pseudo-customer code. It is created and used by the invoicing UH department to facilitate invoice preparation.
It is comprised of the letter 'Z' followed by the last three-digits of the (invoicing dept's) FO code, two-digit
School code, the last four-digits of the Department code and '0' (zero).
As the document is created, if the system finds a 'Z' customer code with the three code combination entered on the invoice, it will automatically transfer the
address information for the 'Z' customer to the PF8 Address window. This is the Sold By and Remit To information on the invoice. Use of a Z code does away with
repetitive typing of the department's address information as each document is created.
What screen do I use to search a customer name or code?
Answer: Use Screen 351 - CUSTOMER NAME SEARCH
What screen do I use to create a customer code?
Answer: Use Screen 352 - CUSTOMER MAINTENANCE.
What screen do I use to create a University of Hawaii customer invoice (FMIS-24) on-line?
Answer: Use Screen 361 - CUSTOMER INVOICE MAINTENANCE with "S" document prefix.
What screen do I use to record a dishonored check (DM) transaction?
Answer: Screen 362 - DM INVOICE MAINTENANCE is used to record a DM transaction. However a document must
be first created by Treasury Office before you (FO) can update data. You cannot create a new document.
What information does Treasury Office enter on-line on Screen 362?
Answer: Treasury Office enters Reason, Maker of Check, Phone, Check No., Check Date, Check Amount, Bank Date
and Dept FO.
What information does a FO enter on-line on Screen 362?
Answer: A FO enters AR Type, Cust (customer), Sold by Sch, Dept, Remit To, PF8 Address (if a 'Z' customer code is
not created.), and PF12 Line.
What screen do I use to record salary overpayment transaction?
Answer: Screen 361 - Customer Invoice Maintenance is used to record a salary overpayment transaction. However a
document must be first created by Payroll Office before you (FO) can update data. You cannot create a new
What information does Payroll Office enter on-line on Screen 361?
Answer: Payroll Office enters Employee, Service Date Start, Service Date End, Document Date, Sold by FO, and
What information does a FO enter on-line on Screen 361?
Answer: A FO enters Cust (customer), Sold by Sch, Dept, Remit To, PF8 Address (if a 'Z' customer code is not
created.), and account code on the PF12 Line.
If the screen 361 - CUSTOMER MAINTENANCE is used to record for both customer sales and salary
overpayment, how do I know difference between these two?
Answer: You (as a department FO by security) are allowed to create only an 'S' document on Screen 361 -
CUSTOMER INVOICE MAINTENANCE. If a wrong AR TYPE 'SA' is typed, the system will display a message F8832
Account invalid for AR Type.
What do I do if I find an error on a DM document created by Treasury Office?
Answer: See Summary of AR System
When do I do if I find an error on a salary overpayment created by Payroll Office?
Answer: See Summary of AR System
Do I process payment on accounts receivable through ARS?
Answer: No. You continue to follow the current receipt process.
Where do I call if there are any questions on how to create invoice, UH APM or ARS User Guide or any
changes in policies and procedures?
Answer: Call General Accounting and Loan Collections at 956-8278. The highlights of changes are:
- Service charge of $15.00 and interest of $.10 on a dishonored check are recorded as accounts receivable for
the DM document created in FMIS ARS effective January 1, 1999. Any additional interest assessment
amount collected must be recorded as a cash transaction with the State general fund SL account and source
- The ARS does not allow to create a reimbursement of expenditure receivable using a object code (2001-9999). A source 082x must be used to create an invoice. Upon receipt of payment, prepare a journal
voucher to reclassify the transaction from a revenue to reimbursement of expenditure.
Where do I call if I encounter printing problems or if I have any printing related questions?
Answer: Call Tammy Vandevender at 956-5728.
Can we create a "Z" customer code using the suffix to provide multiple address requirement?
Answer: No. Currently the system does not provide the multiple address requirement for a "Z" customer code. The
FMIS AR Project Team is looking into this issue.
Can you provide summary of conversion of the interim accounts receivable file to FMIS ARS?
Answer: Only outstanding AR documents (except all '036' payment transactions without a matching '066' entry) as of
December 31, 1998 in the interim AR file will be converted. There will be a change in the AR document number as
|D9nnnnn|| D0nnnnn, D09nnnn, D08nnnn, etc as needed
|S0nnnnn|| S8nnnnn, S7nnnnn, S6nnnnn, etc as needed
Each fiscal officer is asked to provide one school and department to be assigned to documents. If not, the system will
default to 99 and 99999, respectively. A special Screen 369 Document Conversion Update is available for a limited
period to modify the school and department codes.
GALC is creating the customer code without a name used in the interim AR file. You are required to update with the
correct information immediately using Screen 352.
Information to be Used
||Need to update name|
||First FO |
Is there any way to see a list of the reason code on Screen 362 by a fiscal officer because the field is
Answer: Yes. Move the cursor to the first letter of the reason code. Press the PF1 Help key and <ENTER> to display
a list and again to continue to the next page.
If I don't have a printer connected before the ARS is implemented or near future, what options are available
Answer: There are several options.
- Option one is to get an approval from the Director of Financial Management Office to maintain own accounts
receivable system. A journal voucher is required to record all outstanding receivable as of June 30th. This
applies only to the "S" invoice created by a department.
You must complete the "SA" and "D" invoices on-line. Use your department's letter head to generate FMIS-3A BILL
AND NOTICE OF DISHONORED CHECK and FMIS-24SA BILL AND NOTICE OF SALARY OVERPAYMENT.
- Option two is to create a "S" invoice on-line and type manually the invoice using the current FMIS-24 Form.
Here again this applies only to the "S" invoice. You must follow the step mentioned under 24.a for the "SA"
and "D" invoices.
- Option three is to create all invoices on-line and route printing invoices to your fiscal officer's printer
destination and another offices (such as near your office, GALC, etc.). You must make an arrangement first
before this option is taken.
Where can I get the new ARS JV form?
Answer: The new JV form is available at the FMIS home page www.fmo.hawaii.edu/fmis. Two versions are available:
an Excel file that can be used to input your information and generate the form or a PDF file that can be used to copy
the form and manually type the information.
Were there any changes made after I attended the ARS Training session?
Answer: Yes. There were changes made.
- When the PF8 Address Window pops up, REMIT TO address is displayed first, instead of SOLD BY. This
follows the format of Screen 352 CUSTOMER MAINTENANCE for a "Z" customer code.
- The customer copy marked 'ORIGINAL' has been added for the "S" invoice.
- The use of the "UPO" field has been modified as follow:
- If a "X" is entered, the system drops the line item completely from the file.
- If a "D" is entered, the system removes the extended price, instead the word "CANCELLED" is printed
in the amount column on the printed invoice.
- If a "T" is entered, the system removes the extended price and the amount column on the printed
invoice is left blank.
- If a "N" is entered, the system removes the extended price and the word "NO CHARGE" is printed in
the amount column on the printed invoice.
- The account control for recording of a salary overpayment (SA document) has been changed from ‘1365' to ‘2531' effective January 1, 1999. GALC is updating all affected documentation.
- The PF7 (Part2) has been added on Screen 374 Receivable Inquiry to display the "Allowance" and "Written Off" information on the right side of this screen. Press the PF7 to get back to the left side of this screen.
- The enhancement to provide multiple addresses has been made for a ‘Z' customer code. On the address window (PF8), the user can now modify the address digit. If the address exists, the information is updated. If the address does not exist, the information is reset (blanked out). Initial default if the address is blank is the master (Znnnnnnnnn0) record. Remit to and Sold by Z-addresses do not need to be the same (the remit to address can use the master (Z1234567890) record and the sold by address can use an address (Z1234567891) record).
How do I reprint a recorded (finalized/printed) document?
Answer: Go to screen 361 (S/SA docs) or 362 (D docs), tab over to Print, and change 'N' to 'Y'. The document status will change from PRINTED to FINAL. Then go to screen 364 and press PF12 to print the document.
How do I revise a recorded document?
Answer: Go to screen 361 or 362, press PF11 and select PF10 to revise a document.
Sometimes I can't revise a document using the ARS screen. Why?
Answer: Once a payment has been posted to a document, the only way to revise the invoice amount is by journal voucher (JV).
If there are no payments on the document, the only way to revise the document amount is through ARS screen 361 for 'S' documents. Changes to the document amounts for 'SA' and 'D' invoices must be initiated by the Payroll and Treasury offices, respectively.
However, if a dishonored check was recorded for the proper amount but the amount of the 'receivable' is now reduced (e.g., merchandise returned, class dropped, etc) a JV should be prepared to adjust the invoice balance.
How do I revise a converted document? I'm getting the message F5768 Account total does not match document total by $##.##.
Answer: While using PF12 (Document Line Maintenance) to access each line item or account code entry, press PF6 to enter the 'Account Distribution for Line'; input under PCT (percentage) the number 100 and remove the specific amount.