Systems Access Login


The Disbursing Office is a University systemwide operation responsible for processing direct payment documents such as travel, mileage, payment requests (PREQS), disbursement vouchers (DVs), distribution of 1099s and 1042s, and the execution of compliance reviews by UH System departments and programs.

Link to ePaymentLink to eTravel


Frequently Asked Questions

Disbursement Vouchers +

Q: What is a Disbursement Voucher (DV)?

A:  The disbursement voucher (DV) edoc is used to process direct payments. 

Q: Where can I find more information on how to process a Disbursement Voucher?

A:   The Disbursement Voucher User Guide provides information such as business rules, field descriptions, document routing, sample screenshots, processing tips and reference information click

Q: What type of vendor payments are allowed on a DV?

A: The following vendor payments are allowed:

  • Utilities-Electricity, Water, Telephone, & Gas (not gasoline/fuel)
  • Postage & Postal Charges
  • State Department of Human Resources Development (DHRD) Sponsored Employee Training Classes
  • Registration Fees
  • Library Purchase Order vendor payments
  • Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) & Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) vendor payments not on PO
  • Q: Which kinds of payments are allowed on a DV?

    A: The following payments are allowed:

  • Fellowship & Scholarship payments
  • ŸCash Awards to employees, faculty, staff & studentsŸ  
  • Settlement AgreementsŸ  
  • Petty Cash Custodian ReimbursementsŸ  
  • Reissued check payments not processed by General Accounting & Loan Collection (GALC)Ÿ  
  • UH Press Royalty payments not paid via the royalty feedŸ  
  • Office of Technology, Tranfer and Economic Development (OTTED) inventor royalty paymentsŸ  
  • Payments initiated by Office of Research Services (ORS)Ÿ  
  • RCUH reimbursement for Service Order Projects & Revolving Fund User Projects
  • Q: What employee payments are allowed on a DV?

    A: Reimbursement for official expenditures to University Faculty, Staff and Students.

    Travel payments to SCOPIS employees, RCUH Employees using UH Funds, State employees (non-UH) & Non  Employees representing UH on official business

    Non travel cash advances (primarily for real time payments UH researchers make to individuals participating in their research)
    • Mileage
    • Transfer of Employees’ Vacation Leave Credits
    • Priority Payroll payments
    • Automobile Allowances
    • Housing Allowances 
    • Parking Allowance 
    • Relocation Reimbursement Allowances
    • Transportation Allowance
    • Uniform Maintenance Allowances
    • Post death payments to the deceased employee’s beneficiary
    • Settlements
    • Royalties and Commissions

    Q: How many invoices can I attach to a DV?

    A: Please refer to the DV Multiple Invoice Matrix on the KFS website

    Q: What is the procedure in handling Manual Travel document DISB-4?

    A: Manual Travel reimbursement is processed through a DV

    • Scan and attach DISB-4 to Disbursing
    • Notate on upper right hand corner in red the KFS doc number
    • Be sure to issue a “T” document number

    Q: What is considered sensitive data?

    A: Social Security Number, bank account number, etc. These data should be redacted before scanning and attaching to KFS.

    Q: What is the process for claiming employee reimbursements?

    A: All reimbursements for expenses require “original” receipts with proof of payment. In addition, to achieve cost saving of issuing a check or ACH (e.g. costs associated with process time that is from the employee’s department, Disbursing Office, to Mailroom and postage), we ask employees to hold off the reimbursement request and combine multiple reimbursements in a single payment that is more than $5 before submission. We will process payments that are more than $5.

    • Please refer to the DV Multiple Invoice Matrix on the KFS website
    • If claiming without a receipt, must provide some means to show how payment was made, description of the item and the amount, however this reimbursement maybe considered reportable/taxable.
    Q: Is an email receipt acceptable?

    A: An email confirmation from the Payee is acceptable if it shows a name of the payee, the amount of the charge and itemized expenses, the transaction date, and the form of payment.

    Q: Does Disbursing require “aging start dates” to process invoice payments?

    A:  Yes pursuant to Chapter 103.10, Hawaii Revised Statues, “aging start dates” are required to determine late interest payments.  Indicate in KFS “note text” invoice receive date and satisfactory good/service receive date or it can be stamped on the face of the invoice.

    Q: Who can claim for mileage? 

    A: UH Employees, State of Hawaii Employees and RCUH Employees using their privately owned vehicle for official University business may claim for mileage and must insure DISB-33 is prepared in accordance with procedures specified.

    Q: Are students allowed to claim mileage?

    A:  With approval, student employees using their personal vehicles for official University business may claim for mileage and must insure DISB-33 is prepared in accordance with procedures specified.

    Q: I paid $3.30 for office supplies out of my own pocket. Can I get reimbursed for it?

    A: Yes. However, to achieve cost saving of issuing a check or ACH (e.g. costs associated with process time that is from the employee’s department, Disbursing Office, to Mailroom and postage), we ask employees to hold off the reimbursement request and combine multiple reimbursements in a single payment that is more than $5 before submission. We will process payments that are more than $5.

    As a reminder, the University’s Purchasing Card policy A8.266 sets forth the guideline in which the purchasing card is designated as the preferred method of purchase for small dollar goods and services less than $2,500 (with some exceptions are listed in the purchasing card website).

    Payment Requests +

    Q: What is a Payment Request (PREQ)?

    A: The Payment Request (PREQ) document is used to generate payment to a vendor for payment on goods and services and/or encumbered on a KFS PO.

    Q: What is a Purchase Order (PO)?

    A: A purchase order is a document sent to a supplier or vendor, authorizing shipment of a product to the customer as a specified price and terms.

    Q: What is a Purchase Order Amendment (POA)?

    A: Purchase order changes serve as formal notification to the vendor of changes to previously issued purchase orders and are intended to clarify and update the order specifications.  Use POA when the PO has already been issued and there are significant modifications to material elements of the order. 

    Q: How do I label my invoice for processing?

    A: To ensure proper/ quick processing, please label invoice and subject line for email as follows:

    • PO
    KFS PO #_ INVOICE # _1st 3 letters of vendor name
    Ex: 12345_0001_ABC
    • Contract
    KFS PO # _ CONTRACT #_INVOICE #_1ST 3 letters of vendor name
    Ex: 12345_C120123_456_ABC

    If vendor name is an individual, use first 3 letters of last name.

    Q: What is the preferred method of processing overages?

    A: Create a POA

    Ÿ   Have Disbursing use Miscellaneous Line for overages
    Ÿ   Increase Item Line with the overage (i.e., overextend the cost of the line item).  

    (Note: for this option,  until the encumbrance from the overextended line is corrected, a POA cannot be completed.) 

    Q: How do I submit a credit memo for processing?

    A: Please submit the credit memo along with invoices for the same PO that have enough charges to cover the credit memo.  Credit memo amounts cannot exceed invoiced amount.

    Q: What if I have a Credit Memo for a PO that was already paid off?

    A: Request a check from the vendor or apply the credit to another PO.

    Q: Can an enclosure be included with the check?

    A: Not at this time.  Please do a special handle request so the check is returned to the department so the department may include the enclosure with payment.

    Q: Once the PREQ has been submitted for FA approval, what information can be amended on the PREQ?

    A: Only the check stub notes and special handling sections are editable on the PREQ.  If anything else (e.g. invoice number, dollar amount, etc.) needs to be corrected, please request the PREQ to be cancelled and explain in the notes and attachments.

    Q: Can a PREQ be ad hoc routed to someone who’s not on the list of approvers for approval?

    A: Yes, but before doing so, please make sure that person is available to approve the PREQ.  Not doing so prior may delay payment processing.

    Q: When should “quantity” be used when creating a PO?

    A: For commodity type orders (you receive and are invoiced in the same unit you ordered), quantity may be appropriate.  Quantity items can only be invoiced up to the quantity specified on the line item.

    Q: What does a POA allow you to do?

    A: The following below:

  • Increase or decrease the quantitiesŸ  
  • Change the total dollar amountŸ  
  • Partial or total cancellation of the orderŸ  
  • Change of object codesŸ  
  • Add new account codes
  • For more information, go to the Kuali financial website, Training > KFS > Purchasing > Purchase Order Amendment – Manual.

    Q: Can we request Disbursing to change account distributions for item lines when creating PREQs?

    A: No, account distributions and object codes are set by the PO.  If changes are needed, please do a POA.

    Q: Why did the PO automatically close during the batch process? 

    A: Batch processing is the execution of a series of program jobs without manual intervention.  The batch process for the PO close is currently scheduled to run at month end.  POs with zero encumbrance will automatically close at the end of the month during the batch process.  If there is an outstanding payment request (PREQ) in the queue that has not been approved by the FA, the PO will still close in the end of month batch process unless there are still remaining encumbrances in the PO.  The FA may use the PO Open Order button to reopen the PO. 

    Q: Does Disbursing require “aging start dates” to process invoice payments?

    A:  Yes pursuant to Chapter 103.10, Hawaii Revised Statues, “aging start dates” are required to determine late interest payments.  Indicate in KFS “note text” invoice receive date and satisfactory good/service receive date or it can be stamped on the face of the invoice.

    Q:Why didn't my Payment Request get paid as an ACH?

    A: KFS will change an ACH payment (i.e., Payees that are flagged as ACH) to a check if one of the following conditions exist:

    • Payment Request is marked as Special Handling or Immediate Pay, 
    • Payment Request is marked as having an Attachment.
    • Payment Request is bundled with a Credit Memo. 

    Q:How will a credit memo affect the PO encumbrance?

    A: Click here for examples of credit memos and how the encumbrance is affected.

    Vendor +

    Q: What type of forms should I submit to create or edit a vendor code in KFS?

    A: For Individuals: 

    • UH WH-1 University of Hawaii Statement of Citizenship and Federal Tax Status
    • If Legal Permanent Resident Alien (LPR), attach front & back copy of Alien Registration card to UH WH-1 form
    • If Nonresident Alien (NRA), follow WH-1 Directions> All Others> 3, 4, 5 thru 8, if applicable

    For Entities: e.g. – companies, foreign gov’t agencies, private foundations, higher educ. inst. etc.

    • IRS Form W-9 and copy of invoice, if available
    • If foreign, IRS Form W-8BEN-E or W8-EXP, or W8-ECI, or W8-IMY and copy of invoice, if available

    Q: Why does Disbursing ask for an invoice to be included in the vendor request?

    A: Often the address on the IRS Form W-9 lists the corporate address while the invoice lists a different remittance address.  If we see both the W-9 and invoice addresses, Disbursing can input the correct remit address the first time without editing the address later.  We also encounter purchase order mailing addresses that are different from the remit payment address.  Therefore, we would input both addresses as necessary when creating the vendor in KFS.

    Q: Can I fax my information to Disbursing so they can create or edit the vendor?

    A: Yes.  Please fax your information to 956-9145, our Clerical/Vendor Maintenance Office.  Please include a cover sheet referencing the office you represent and what you want done.

    Dept. of Accounting & General Services (DAGS) +

    Q: Do I need to have the funds encumbered in KFS?

    A: Yes, once OPRPM (Office of Procurement and Real Property Management) receives the approved documents from DAGS (Dept. of Accounting & General Services) and the KFS (Kuali Financial System) Purchase Order is approved by OPRPM, your funds will be encumbered in KFS and at DAGS.
    Q: What do I do if the vendor has changed their name?
    A: Contact OPRPM for assistance.
    Q:What do I do if the vendor has changed address?
    A: Do an edit to the vendor code in KFS and attach a current WH-1 or an invoice.
    Q:What do I do if there is an assignment of payment to a third party vendor?
    A: Contact OPRPM for assistance at (808)956-8687 or check their website for information at
    Q: Which contract number do I use on the payment form if there is a UH or DAGS contract number?
    A: The contract number to use on the payment form will determine on either the account code to charge or the PO. 
    Q: How can I have the DAGS check sent to our office?
    A: Submit the Form 37 along with the CIP Payment Form and invoices and other supports to Disbursing.
    Q: How is the DAGS payment recorded at the University?
    A: All DAGS payment are recorded in the Kuali Financial System.  Disbursing will create a PREQ with the payment information as a bank ‘040’ in KFS and the final approval is the Departmental Fiscal Administrator.
    Q: What is the process for DAGS payments?
    A: Disbursing processes DAGS payments when the payment form is received from the department.  Disbursing will generate the DAGS Keypunch forms to generate a Summary Warrant Voucher (SWV).  The SWV is approved by the Disbursing Director and is submitted to DAGS Pre-Audit Department for printing of the check.  The check is picked up by Disbursing for disbursement.

    Nonresident Alien (NRA) / Foreigner +

    Q: What type of documentation do I have to attach to the UH WH-1 form for foreigners?

    A: First, use UH WH-1

    Second, look at the first page top of the form for DIRECTIONS> ALL OTHERS> # 3, 4, 5 through 8, (if applicable).  Use this list of documents to attach to the WH-1.

    UH WH-1

    Statement of Citizenship and Federal Tax Status


    PURPOSE: This form is for individuals. To comply with applicable tax provisions of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regulations, the information requested on this form is required to determine the appropriate federal tax withholding and is required for each calendar year. (Business entities should use IRS Form W-9)


    1. Complete Sections A and E only.


    1. Complete Sections A and E only

    2. Attach a photocopy (front and back) of your Alien Registration Card


    1. Complete Sections A, B, C, and E

    2. Complete Section D if applicable

    3. Submit copy (front and back) of your I-94

    4. Submit IRS W8-BEN for foreign status

    5. For J-1 visa holders, submit copy of DS-2019

    6. For B visa holders, submit DISB-45

    7. For F-1 visa holders, submit copy of I-20 Passport ID Page and Visa page
    8. Submit IRS Form 8233 if performing services as independent contractor (Treaty only).

    Q: Why is it necessary to fill in Section B. of the UH WH-1 for foreigners?

    A:  Disbursing requires Section B to be filled out as completely as possible in order to determine whether or not an individual has been in the USA long enough to pass the IRS Substantial Presence Test (SPT).  If the individual passes the SPT, then they are classified as Resident Aliens.  Tax treatment is different for nonresident aliens versus resident aliens.
    Q: How can I find the I-94 form as listed in UH WH-1, ALL OTHERS, # 3?
    A:  In 2013, Customs no longer attaches a paper I-94 form to the traveler’s passport page.  It logs in the information electronically and the traveler can log on line to print out a copy.  Customs also would use an oval stamp with date of entry, and stamp one of the passport pages.  In order to obtain an electronic copy, go to  It will take you to a consent page, check the box for consent.  The traveler enters their full name, date of birth, and passport identification number.  The first page of results is the individuals’ most current date of entry into the USA.  The second page is the history of arrivals and departures into and out of the USA by the individual.
    Q:  How do I know if the traveler, student, post doc, researcher, etc. is not a US Citizen?
    A:  Refer to UH WH-1 Section A. 1. Country of Citizenship.  If the country is not listed as United States, USA, or US, the individual is not a US Citizen.
    Q: What does the UH WH-1 Section A. 1. Country of Residence for Tax Purposes mean?
    A: The purpose of this box is to show if you lived in another country prior to coming into the USA.  If so, list the name of that country the individual just arrived from.  For example, I am a citizen of Italy but I lived in Germany for a year before coming into the USA.  Therefore, for tax purposes my country of residence would be Germany.  Residence constitutes living there for a minimum of 1 year.  For selection of correct tax treaty country, country of residence prior to arrival in the US would dictate the proper country for tax treaty benefits.
    Q: How do I determine if my country has a tax treaty with the United States Government?
    A: Go to URL:  Select current forms and publications tab.  Enter “Publ 901” or “515”.  This will give you a listing of countries that has a tax treaty with the United States.  In IRS Publication 901, Tax Treaties, go to page 41, Table 2.  This table will illustrate the applicable treaty articles that have been negotiated by country.
    Q: How do I qualify for treaty benefits if I come from a country that has a tax treaty with the USA?
    A:  In order to qualify for tax treaty benefits, you must have a US Social Security Number (SSN) or a US Individual Taxpayers Identification Number (ITIN) and an applicable treaty article in the tax treaty.  If you do not have either a SSN/ITIN or applicable treaty article, you do not qualify for tax treaty benefits.   Additionally, if you are a resident alien, you also do not qualify for tax treaty benefits.
    Q: Why is there tax withholding taken out from my fellowship payment?
    A:  All personnel added into the UH financial system vendor master for payment are assessed and coded if they are US Citizens, Permanent Resident Aliens (LPR), Resident Aliens (RA) or Nonresident Aliens (NRA).  If NRA, Disbursing uses the UH WH-1 and its supporting documents to make an assessment if you qualify for treaty benefits or not.  If not, dependent on the type of visa and purpose of visit, the IRS tax assessment range from 14% or 30%.  The UH is required by law to withhold taxes.
    Q: Why are foreigners required to resubmit new UH WH-1s with supporting documentation every year in January to their departmental business offices?
    A: The purpose for this activity is for the business offices to submit the documentation to the Disbursing office in order to make its annual NRA assessment.  Disbursing does this to determine whether or not the individual has been in the US long enough to pass the IRS Substantial Presence Test (SPT).  If the individual passes the SPT, they are classified as Resident Aliens.  When this occurs, the Disbursing office will stop any further tax withholding and treat like US citizens/resident aliens for the calendar year.
    Q: Should I submit an IRS Form W8-BEN or IRS Form 8233?
    A: It depends on what the payment is going to be for and whether the NRA has a US SSN/ITIN.  If no SSN/ITIN, submit a W8-BEN form.  If the individual performing services has a US SSN/ITIN, submit IRS Form 8233.  If the individual performing services does not have a US SSN/ITIN, submit a W8-BEN instead.

    Grant-In-Aid Tab +

    Q: Is it necessary to fill in the Information for Financial Aid section in the Grant-In-Aid Tab?

    A:  If you are making a fellowship payment to a UH enrolled student, you will need to get the 8 digit Student ID number and input it into Line 1. Line 2 for semester term is optional. The purpose of inputting the Student ID number is for the financial aid office to track how much assistance the department is providing to the student outside of his/her financial aid package. 

    Q: What is the difference between Qualified and Non-qualified educational expenses?

    A: Some Qualified educational expenses include: college tuition, mandatory fees, books, supplies, and equipment required for the courses. Some Non-qualified educational expenses include: room and board, travel, and equipment not required for enrollment. For more information, please review AP 8.561 or IRS Publication 970, Tax benefits for Education, Page 5.

    Q: Why do we have to process payments for Qualified educational expenses in Banner instead of using DV Payment Reason S?

    A: Pursuant to instruction for IRS Form 1098-T, scholarships and grants administered and processed by the University must be reported by the educational institution. Since the UH issues payments to these students via the Banner system, such payments should be reported in Banner.

    Travel payments to SCOPIS employees, RCUH Employees using UH Funds, State employees (non-UH) & Non  Employees representing UH on official business

    Q: When can we use 6510, G-In-Aid, Tuition, and 6514, G-In-Aid, Tuition (Loan Repayment) object codes in the Grant-In-Aid Tab under DV Payment Reason Code S?

    A: Both tuition object codes were selected by the Office of Research Services (ORS) and General Accounting & Loan Collections (GALC) offices to track specific type of extramural payments related to tuition and loan repayments. Please consult theses offices for those parameters if payment must be made via DV Payment Reason Code S. You must attach documentation to the DV document under Notes and Attachments for justification as to why payment should not be processed in Banner.

    Q: A State of Hawaii Department wants to make payments to UH students and contractually bind these students to work for the State of Hawaii in the future upon graduation for a certain number of years. Are these payments reportable by the UH?

    A: The answer is Yes. If the payment is to be made under the Grant-In-Aid Tab for DV Payment Reason Code S, input the following information: UH Student ID number, select # 2. Non-qualified Educational Expenses, use object code 6503, Grant-In-Aid, Shship/Felship (Reportable). Payment is reported in the year issued.

    Q: Could I make payments for both Qualified and Non-qualified educational expenses on the same Grant-In-Aid Tab?

    A: The answer is No. The Grant-In-Aid Tab is setup up to allow only one type of payment at a time under Type of Payment section. You will have to do a separate DV payment one for qualified and the other for non-qualified educational expenses. However, keep in mind that the majority of qualified educational expense payments should be processed through the Banner system at the Cashier’s Office. If you have to make a qualified educational fellowship payment under DV Payment Reason Code S, you will need to explain and justify your response in the Notes & Attachments section of the DV payment request.

    Q: If I want to make fellowship payments via DV Payment Reason Code S, for students or post doctorate fellows (non-employee) performing services for the department, is that possible?

    A: The answer is No. If the student is actually performing work or some form of services for the department, the individual should be on payroll. Please coordinate with the Student Employment & Cooperative Education (SECE) office pertaining to student hours allowed per week or the UH Office of Human Resources. If the payroll route is unsuitable, you may have to consider paying the individual as an independent contractor via purchase order and nonemployee invoice.

    Q: Please explain the fourth button, Expenses under Accountable Plan (employment related). How is this related to Non-service scholarship fellowships?

    A: If the university is reimbursing travel expenses paid to a postdoctoral fellow who is an employee from another university, then the reimbursement would be treated under the UH accountable plan with no reportable tax consequence to the employee. A key factor to remember, the individual must be an employee of another institution or company. As an employee, you would be here conducting business in order to qualify under the accountable plan rules as established by the IRS. If you have a situation as described above, you would use object code 6540. You will also need to state in the Notes & Attachments section of the DV payment that the individual is an employee of XYZ University or ABC Company. You will find this information in Section A of the UH WH-1 form.

    Q: : The majority of fellowship payments would be considered as non-qualified educational expense for my department. What object codes should I use for US Citizens and/or Resident Aliens (RA)?

    A: You could use object code 6500 G-In-Aid Scholarship/Fellowship, or 6540 G-In-Aid, Travel

    Q: What should I use for non-qualified educational expenses for Nonresident Aliens (NRA), foreigners?

    A: You would use object code 6503 G-In-Aid Scholarship/Fellowship (Reportable), or 6543 G-In-Aid Travel (Reportable)

    Q: I have use object code 6570 G-In-Aid Trnee-Books/Sup (NR) and provide receipts/invoices for student book purchases in DV Payment Reason Code S. How will this change with the Grant-In-Aid Tab?

    A:  As per AP 8.561, these book purchases as required per class syllabus would be considered as a Qualified educational expense. You will now have to process this payment via Banner at the Cashier’s Office.

    Q: Are any of the scholarship/fellowship payments reportable or taxable to the recipient receiving this payment?

    A1: If the fellowship payment is processed under Qualified educational expenses, the payment should be processed through the UH Banner system. The UH will report it to the IRS under IRS Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement. Each UH enrolled student will receive this form at the end of January of the following calendar year.
    A2: If the fellowship payment is processed under Non-qualified educational expenses, the payment will not be reported by the UH to the IRS. However, the payment maybe considered reportable/taxable income to the recipient. The payee should consult his/her tax advisor to see if the payment should be reported in his/her personal income returns. The department business office issuing the payment is responsible to provide the financial information to the recipient if asked. (See AP 8.561, Page 4, E. 1.)
    A3: If the fellowship payment involves services to be performed, the payment should be processed under a purchase order with non-employee invoice and not under the Grant-In-Aid Tab. Payment of this nature is considered reportable income and the UH will issue IRS Form 1099-MISC to the payee.
    A4: If the fellowship payment involves non-UH employees traveling to conduct business at the university and services are not involved, the expenses under accountable plan rules to the extent of receipts are not reportable to the payee.

    Q: What is the difference between an award/prize verses a non-service scholarship/fellowship?

    A:  Please refer to AP 8.561, Pages 8-9. If a payment is made based on past accomplishment or as a result from entering a non-academic contest or competition, then the payment is considered an award or prize. The payment would be considered reportable/taxable income which the UH must report to the IRS. The payees would receive an IRS Form 1099-MISC (US Citizens, Resident Aliens) or IRS Form 1042-S (Nonresident Aliens). An award or prize should be processed on DV Payment Reason Code A (Cash Award) and not in DV Payment Reason Code S (Grant-In-Aid, Stipend). A non-service scholarship/fellowship payment is normally not reported by the UH to the IRS if it is for Non-qualified educational expenses. However, the income received by the payees could be reportable income. The payee should consult their tax advisor.

    Relocation +

    Q: With the implementation of the new relocation policy, will I still have to submit a receipt for my relocation allowance?

    A:  If your job offer letter is dated prior to November 1, 2018, you will need to submit an original receipt in order to be reimbursed for your relocation expense. Any job offer letter dated November 1, 2018 or later will not require an original receipt for relocation expenses.

    Q: My job offer letter is dated October 1, 2018. Do I process my relocation through Payroll or Disbursing?

    A:  If your job offer letter is dated prior to November 1, 2018, all relocation reimbursements must be processed through a KFS Disbursement Voucher (DV) via the Disbursing Office. In addition, all original receipts must be attached to the DV.

    Q: Under the revised AP8.863 – Relocation Allowances, an estimate of expenses should be provided as justification. For justification purposes, what constitutes an adequate estimate?

    A:  Since Disbursing will no longer require the collection of receipts, filling out the DISB-17A form, creation of DV Payment Reason Code N, etc…, the department hiring the new faculty employees will have to make the determination of what constitutes a fair and equitable amount for the allowance to be given based on a number of factors.  Those factors could include current location of the future employee and family, start of employment, estimated costs of moving household goods/car, etc. airfare, etc.

    An adequate estimate on costs would depend on the future employee being able to secure written estimates from his/her shipper.  If the allowance exceeds the Chancellor's authority and moves to the CFO authority, the respective business office should provide the necessary supporting documentation for justification if asked by the CFO.

    Q: Which Nature of Action do I use on the PNF?

    A: PAY 417 (Lump Sum Special Payment). On the UH Job Data Panel insert a row to add the Nature of Action.

    Q: What is the effective date on the PNF?

    A: Effective date should be the Exempt Appointment Date.

    Q: Which UH PS Pay Type do I use on the PNF?

    A: STRELO (Stipend – Relocation Allowance). This is entered on the UH PS Job Earning Distribution Panel.

    Q: Can the relocation amount be split into several pay periods?

    A: No, relocation reimbursements are to be paid as a one-time lump sum payment. On the UH PS Job Earning Distribution Panel enter the entire amount unless being distributed by different account codes.

    Q: What will be reflected on the PNF?

    A: No, relocation reimbursements are to be paid as a one-time lump sum payment. On the UH PS Job Earning Distribution Panel enter the entire amount unless being distributed by different account codes.

    Q: Do I need to remove the stipend on the UH PS Earning Distribution Panel?

    A: Yes, effective the day after the exempt appointment, insert a row with the Nature of Action – PAY 418 (Delete One Time Pay). Click on the Earning Distribution Panel and delete the Pay Type STRELO. No PNF needs to be generated for this action. Call OHR to approve the PAY 418 action.

    Q: How will the payment show on the pay statement?

    A: Relocation amount will be coded as ‘Stipend’

    Mobile Devices +

    Q: Who is responsible for keeping track of an employee’s monthly allowance?

    A:  The employee’s department is responsible for keeping track of an employee’s monthly allowance.

    Q: Are departments allowed to advance an employee’s monthly allowance?

    A:  No, the allowance is intended to reimburse employees for the incremental cost of business use of personal mobile devices.

    Q: How do I request for a monthly allowance?

    A:  Use form DISB-15 and submit your request to your supervisor, Dean/Director and Executive for approval.

    Q: How do I label the DV when processing a mobile device allowance?


    Q: If I receive an allowance, can I get reimbursed for a mobile device I purchased?

    A: No, employees who receive the allowance will not be allowed to receive payment and/or reimbursement for mobile device equipment, accessories, and plans.

    Q: If I receive an allowance and I purchase a 2nd line for my business calls from my personal mobile device plan, can I get reimbursed for the second line?

    A: No, employees who receive the allowance will not be allowed to receive payment and/or reimbursement for a second line.

    Q: If mobile device allowance is terminated where do I send the original DISB 15?

    A: Send the original form DISB 15 for termination to your Business/Fiscal Office.

    Q: For all our existing employees with work issued mobile devices, would we select “New” or “Update” at the top?

    A: Please select "New"

    Q: For the effective start date for these employees, would we enter the date that the form is being submitted?

    A: For the Effective Start Sate, enter the date the employee will start coverage under the Employee Mobile Device Program.

    Q: Do we leave the effective end date blank and use it when an employee is terminated?

    A: The Effective End Date should be the last day the employee will be covered under the Employee Mobile Device Program but the End Date should not extend beyond one year from the Start Date. An employee's eligibility under the Employee Mobile Device must be reviewed on an annual basis.

    Q: If an employee has both a work issued mobile phone and a tablet, will one form suffice?

    A: One form will suffice as long as both devices are noted on the DISB-15.

    Q: Student Life & Development has two University-owned cell phones that are not assigned to specific employees/individuals. One of the phones is utilized by Meeting & Event Services student employees or staff when working various events. The other phone is used by SLD maintenance/custodial staff. In both cases, the employees pick up the phones at the start of their shift and return them at the end of their shift. Basically, these are “general use” phones which are utilized by whoever is on duty at the time. In this situation, would a DISB-15 need to be completed and kept on file in the business office?

    A: No, A DISB-15 is not required in this situation.

    Q: Assuming there is no “grandfathering in” process, are all employees who currently have a UH-paid cell phone expected to complete the DISB-15 form for approval?

    A: Yes, a DISB-15 form needs to be filled out yearly.

    Q: For UH-paid cell phones, does UH have not to exceed dollar limits for (1) equipment costs and (2) plan costs? Or is any dollar amount acceptable provided equipment and plans are purchased under SPO Vendor List Contract No. 13-07?

    A: If the UH-paid cell phone comes from the SPO vendor list, any dollar amount is acceptable.

    Q: For employees approved for the $30 Mobile Device Allowance program, is the approved DISB-15 form the only attachment needed for the DV?

    A: Yes.

    Q: Since the $30 amount is taxable income, employees shall not be expected to provide their personal cell phone bill, correct?

    A: Yes.

    Q: How should UH Foundation-funded mobile device payments be handled? Directly paid to the service provider or partially reimbursed to the UH employee?

    A: Please refer to UH Foundation and their policies regarding mobile devices.

    Q: Can RCUH employees participate in the University-Provided Mobile Device program?

    A: No.

    Q: Per Section III.B.2.b.2, what are the University’s data security and software requirements for mobile devices?

    A: Please refer to ITS data protection guidelines for securing your smartphone.

    Q: Are electronic signatures on DISB-15 allowed?

    A: Yes, provided it complies with EP 2.216.

    Q: Will the University pay with RCUH account codes in KFS?

    A: No. Payments to RCUH employees must be paid via RCUH Disbursing with RCUH accounts.

    Q: Is there a timeline as to when the DV for the $30 allowance needs to be submitted?

    A: Mobile Device Allowances should be submitted on a timely basis. The allowance will be reported to the employee as wages-in-kind so timeliness is key.

    Q: If we combine Device Allowance for several months is an explanation needed?

    A: Disbursing prefers one DV per allowance per month. You may submit for several months but not in advance.

    Contact Us

    Disbursing Office
    1402 Lower Campus Rd, Bldg H, Room 34
    Phone:  (808) 956-8575,  (808) 956-7126

    Name Area of Responsibility Phone Number Email
    James Kashiwamura Director 956-8575
    Pattreeya Becker PREQs, contracts, NRA, Tax Vendor maintenance, check run 956-6143
    Vicki De Jesus DV, Travel 956-5541
    Donnie Feng PREQs, NRA, Tax, Vendor maintenance, check run 956-6067
    Marilyn Kahawaiolaa DAG Contracts/Payments, Tax 956-5549
    Angela Kauhola DV, Travel 956-5544
    Jan Murakami DV, Travel 956-6874
    Jenna Okuda-Yara PREQs, DAGS/Contracts, Tax, Check run 956-6190
    Maliwan Shimizu DV, Travel 956-5540

    Kay Tanaka Contracts, PREQS, DV, Travel 956-5548
    Myron Tsukayama Vendor maintenance reviewer, Check run 956-4782
    Mason Yano DV, Travel 956-5547
    Tracie Yasuda PREQs, Travel


    FAX   956-9144  
    FAX (clerical office)   956-9145  

    Departmental Assignments

    Policies and Guidelines

    Administrative Procedures

    AP 8.806 - Roles and Responsibilities for Payment Transaction Processing
    AP 8.808 - Bank Wire Transfer
    AP 8.851 - Out-of-State and Intra-State Travel
    AP 8.852 - Personal Automobile Mileage Voucher
    AP 8.853 - Mobile Devices and Related Communication Services Program
    AP 8.863 - Relocation Allowances
    AP 8.867 - Information Reporting on 1099-Misc. and Backup Withholding on Payments
    AP 8.868 - Reporting and Withholding on Payment to Nonresident Aliens and Foreign Corporation

    Process Documents

    Disbursement Voucher User Guide (pdf)
    DV Payment Reason Payee Types and Object Codes List
    DV Supporting Documentation Matrix
    Documentation Requirements for Purchases of Goods or Services
    Guidelines for Postdoctoral Fellowship Payments
    Scholarship/Fellowship Inquiry by Last Name Procedure
    Vendor Maintenance User Guide